Nothing’s better than the sweet combination of cinnamon and apple, so I thought I’d express my love for even more autumn spices in another dessert. Grab 4 pounds of mixed apples and make your own (or cheat n buy) flaky, buttery pie crust. Then, whip up some fresh cream and enjoy your all-American dessert with a dollop of whip cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Enjoy!
NOTE: I just edited this recipe! There was way too much ground cloves, resulting in a spicy mess. My bad!
Simple ingredients ~
The finished product!
Here’s my recipe(s) for pie crust and Fresh Apple Pie:
Pie Crust (two 9-inch pies)
- 2 cups of flour
- 2 sticks of butter (1 cup, cut into chunks)
- 6-8 tbsp. of either ice water or vodka (Vodka can be used in making pie crust because it makes the crust flakier)
- Dash of sugar
- In a food processor, or with clean hands in a medium-sized bowl, pulse or mush the flour and butter together. Stop when the mix resembles coarse sand and the butter pieces are sort of small.
- Add water (or vodka) one tablespoon at a time, pulsing well after each addition. Don’t pulse the mixture too much! Only add the water until the dough starts to hold together, but is still a little crumbly.
- Separate the dough into two disks, and wrap them in plastic wrap. Put them in the fridge for at least one hour, or until firm. (You can freeze the dough for up to 2 months.)
- Once the dough is firm, unwrap one of the disks and roll it out on a floured surface with a floured rolling pin using floured hands… Then fit the disk into a 9-inch pie plate and crimp the edges if you wish.
- Fill up the crust and use the other 1/2 of the dough to decorate, make a lattice top, cover, etc. Coming Soon: Pie Decorating Tips
Make the pie:
- Two 9-inch pie dough disks
For the Filling:
- 4 lbs of mixed apples (gala, green, red, etc etc etc…)
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 cup of sugar (depending on the apples’ sweetness)
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch. ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
- Egg wash (1 tbsp. water + 1 egg yolk)
- Roll out your pie crusts and place one of them in a lightly greased 9-inch pie plate. Preheat the oven to 350.
- Peal, core, and slice your apples. Depending on your taste, you may like thick-cut or thin.
- Add apples to a large bowl. Sprinkle on sugar and spices, then add lemon juice.
- Fill the crust with filling, then dot with butter.
- Roll out 2nd pie crust and cover the top of the pie with it, making a few slits in the top for steam. Brush the pie with egg wash.
- Bake until the pie crust is golden and the apples inside are tender, about 30 minutes.