I was trying to think of a creative idea for my cousin’s 5th birthday cake. I definitely wanted to do something colorful and fun for the decorations. She wanted Hello Kitty, so I thought I’d give her Hello Kitty. But for some reason, it didn’t seem like it was enough to buy a cat-shaped cake pan and pipe the familiar face. The decision I made was to make a rainbow cake. I’d seen pictures before, but it seemed like a fun yet difficult experiment I could tackle.
Here’s how you make a rainbow cake:
- 2 boxes white cake mix
- Food coloring
- 2 cans of diet lemon-lime soda
Make the cake:
- Butter or grease the cake pan and preheat the oven to the temperature it says on the box.
- Pour the cake mix into a large bowl, add the soda, and mix with a spoon until blended.
- Separate the batter into 4 different bowls. Add the different colors to each bowl and mix until the color is even.
- Pour the batter into the greased pan, and bake for however long it directs on the box.
PS, the photos haven’t been exactly quality lately. My apologies, I was not able to use an actual camera for a while. Hopefully I’ll be uploading some better quality pictures soon. x