Well this was a fun day. First of all, I’ll say it again, I’m Jewish. Second of all, I’ll say it again, I don’t think it really matters if you have fun celebrating a holiday. So I started the day with a fun brunch for my family. The rest of the day was dedicated to constructed this recipe; a fluffy fragrant lemon cake. The decorations happened to turn out on the sloppy side, but honestly I only really care about the taste.
Make the cake
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 cups of sugar
- 2 (8 oz) sticks of butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- A drop of almond extract (optional)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. lemon zest
- 1 cup of buttermilk (1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice + 1 cup of milk)
- Preheat the oven to 350 and butter/grease two 9-inch round pans.
- In a kitchen aid, beat the butter on high speed, scraping the bowl occasionally. Gradually add the sugar and cream together. Then add the eggs one at a time. Stir in the buttermilk.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the zest, flour, and baking soda.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and beat together.
- Pour the batter in the pan and bake until the top is springy and the middle is dry, about 25-30 minutes.
Decorate the Cake
- Jordan Almonds
- Colorful sunflower seeds
- Simple frosting (4 cups powdered sugar + a few drops of milk and lemon juice + food dye)
Enjoy! <3, B