WOW THIS IS SUPER LATE.
I really did mean to post this on Halloween, but since it’s a gingerbread recipe, it can also be used for Christmas. I used this cookie cutter for these guys and they turned out great, but they didn’t hold icing well unfortunately. Royal icing is always the way to go with gingerbread.
Make the cookies
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 3/4 of a cup molasses
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground cloves
- 2 sticks of salted butter at room temperature
- 4 cups of flour
- 2 tsp. ginger
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- Cream together the butter and sugars, then add the egg and molasses.
- In another bowl, blend your spices, flour, and baking soda. Add the flour mixture to the butter and mix until combined.
- Refrigerate the dough until it’s firm enough to work with, about 1-2 hours or over night.
- Preheat the oven to 350. Roll out the dough, cut into shapes, and bake for about 10 minutes.
- Ice them when they’re completely cooled.
Make the Royal icing:
Beat 2 large egg whites until they begin to hold their shape, add 1/2 tsp. of a vanilla extract. Pour in 4 cups of powdered sugar gradually, until the icing looks like icing and has the consistency you want. Frost the cookies.
Enjoy! <3, B