And now for something completely different! Normally, you won’t see me using dark colors or spicy flavors during the months of February through July, but technically these still taste summery, despite the deep Halloween-natured blood orange hue (I debated on holding off on posting this one until late August at the least, but all these bars really are is a spin on lemon bars, which I’ve always associated with early July).
Make sure to use ripe oranges to ensure the juice’s dark pigment will dye the filling!
Make the bars:
- Juice and zest of 1 blood orange
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Pinch of ground cloves
- Pinch of ground ginger
- 1 stick of softened butter
- Preheat the oven to 350. In a food processor, pulse together the flour, butter, spices, and sugar until a soft dough forms. Press the crust into a glass pan (8×8) and bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Beat together eggs, sugar, lemon juice, and baking soda. Stir in the orange juice and zest.
- Pour the filling into the hot crust when it comes out of the oven, then return to the oven for 15 more minutes or until the bars are soft but firm in the middle.
- Let cool completely, and serve with sifted powdered sugar.
Enjoy! <3, B